Title: Hindi Translators (One-Year Fellowship)
Company: The Caravan
Location: New Delhi, India
Job Category: Web
Experience: 1–3 years
Deadline: 4 August 2018
Company Description: The Caravan occupies a singular position among Indian magazines. Its stories present a unique mix of detailed reportage and lively and vivid writing, with a commitment to the art of storytelling, whether the subject is politics, culture or art.
The Caravan is published by the Delhi Press Group, one of India’s leading publishers. Started in 1939, Delhi Press today publishes 33 magazines in 10 languages.
– Translate magazine as well as web stories including reportage, essays and commentaries, in both short and long form. The translator will be working on stories from the archives, as well as those published either in the current issues of the magazine or on the web-exclusives section.
– Exercise sound editorial judgment while translating stories, and also proofread them closely.
– Transcribe interviews and other audio materials from English to Hindi.
– Work closely with the editors in scheduling the release of translated materials.
– Honing an approach that combines journalistic rigour with an eye for literary detail.
Applicants should have an undergraduate degree in any subject and an exemplary command over both Hindi and English. They should have a demonstrated ability to write or translate materials in Hindi.
Candidates should display an ability to work collaboratively in a team and an enthusiasm for The Caravan’s editorial and creative vision. They must exhibit efficiency and an ability to prioritise and plan ahead effectively in a fast-paced news environment.
The Delhi office is a small shop, and therefore requires team players with a willingness to be flexible. This is a full-time fellowship, for the duration of one year. Night, holiday, and weekend work may be required.
Candidates from marginalised social groups are encouraged to apply.
Please send a résumé, two samples of translation and two references (names and contacts) along with a cover letter to our executive editor, Vinod K Jose, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Hindi Translator (fellow), The Caravan—2018,” by 11.59 pm on 4 August 2018.