Title: Copy Editor
Company: The Caravan
Location: Delhi, India
Job Type: Full Time
Deadline: 28 November 2018
The Caravan occupies a singular position among Indian magazines. Its stories present a unique mix of detailed reportage and lively and vivid writing, with a commitment to the art of storytelling, whether the subject is politics, culture or art.
The Caravan is published by the Delhi Press Group, one of India’s leading publishers. Started in 1939, Delhi Press today publishes 33 magazines in 10 languages.
– Editing and copy-editing stories
– Commissioning pieces for the Lede section of the magazine and working with writers to shape these for publication
– Maintaining an evolving and current bank of stories and story ideas
– Soliciting pitches and recruiting new writers
– Importantly, as a member of the editorial team, to be a keen observer and fast learner of Indian politics, culture and society
Candidates should have between two to four years of editing experience, preferably in journalism and book publishing. They should also have demonstrated an editorial instinct for news and an interest in working with writers from diverse backgrounds. The applicant should demonstrate top-notch editing and language skills, sound judgement and an enthusiasm for The Caravan’s mission to improve the quality of writing and reporting in India.
The Delhi office is a small shop, with the environment of a start-up, and therefore requires team players with a willingness to be flexible. This is a full-time position. Night, holiday, and weekend work may be required.
Please send in a résumé, two writing samples, a detailed statement on your editing experience along with two references (with names and contact information) and a cover letter to Dr. Vinod K Jose, Executive Editor, at email@example.com. The subject line should read “Copy Editor — 2018”.